Pride Month: Shining a spotlight on support and social opportunities
You may have seen our first Pride Month blog last week looking at the history of gay rights and Pride. Well, this week, we wanted to take a moment to signpost some great organisations that support the LGBTQIA+ community, as well as highlight how to access groups to have fun, socialise and meet up with others.
Some key national organisations that are there for support include:
- Stonewall, a national charity that works to achieve great equality for LGBTQIA+ www.stonewall.org.uk
- LGBT Consortium, a national members organisation that focuses on developing and supporting LGBTQIA+ projects and groups https://www.consortium.lgbt/
- Brook, a young people’s sexual health charity providing sexual health services, support and advice to young people under the age of 25 www.brook.org.uk
- GIRES, a charity that supports and empowers trans and gender non-conforming individuals and their families www.gires.org.uk
Local information is available at:
- Pridewest Magazine has a list of LGBT community groups in Bristol, Somerset and Wiltshire with sporting activities, youth groups, choirs and other activities www.pridewest.co.uk/community-groups
- LGBT Foundation in Manchester has a long list of support groups and activities for the LGBTQIA+ community, as well as healthcare and research professionals, broken down into categories https://lgbt.foundation/who-were-here-for
The groups and organisations mentioned are just the start. If you want to search in your area for things that may interest you, the LGBT Consortium has a listing page that can be searched by area, age group, identifiers and a range of other filters, so you can find what suits you best. Meetup also has a filter for LGBTQIA+ people to find further information on local and national events and meetups.