What’s involved in an ACC Music Degree?
Did you know that we’ve got two Music Foundation Degree courses in partnership with 2017 University of the Year, Nottingham Trent University, let’s take a closer look at them.
First up, we’ve got our FdA Music Performance course. We’ve built this course to be practical and vocational. Foundation Degrees are less ‘academic’ than full degrees, which means you’ll spend your time learning by doing, pulling together the skills and techniques you will develop during your time on the course to fully prepare yourself for your career in the music industry.
“I feel like (the FdA Music Performance course) has enabled me to develop as a musician in ways I didn’t think I would before starting this course.”
Bridget Holmes, FdA Music Performance Student.
Over two years, you’ll cover:
- Composition and Arrangement – You’ll be given grounding in music theory, arrangement techniques and composition, while developing hands-on skills in music production software. You’ll finish this module with a portfolio of new music that shows off what you can do as a composer, arrangement and musician.
- Performance Techniques – Combine your strong compositional knowledge with reinforced performance techniques and showcase your music to the world through electrifying performances that leave your audience breathless. You’ll develop skills for performing solo and as a group as you learn how to effectively engage your audience and use every inch of the performance environment to your advantage.
- Recording Studio Practice – Learn the basics of the recording process so that you can go into any professional studio environment and confidently explain exactly what you want from your recording, as well as being able to get industry standard results yourself at home.
- The Music Industry – We’ll also get you up to speed with industry trends, observing the current industry landscape and how it’s changing. We shore this up with experience of client management through the completion of a live client brief.
- Music, Technology and Performance – In this module you’ll learn to incorporate a range of technologies into your live performances, including triggering samples and loops, utilising synths, drum sequencing and live looping to take your performances to a new level and give your audience an amazing live experience.
- Composing Music for Visual Media – An often forgotten revenue stream in the music industry is composing music for visual media, such as TV shows, films and adverts. It can be highly lucrative and it’s such an important facet of the industry that we’ve given the subject it’s own module. The module will also help to develop your critical thinking and reflection skills as you assess your compositions; both of which are transferable skills, key to being a professional musician.
- Contextual Studies in Music – Looking past performance techniques, software, composition and the internal aspects of music, we’ve designed this module to give you a view of how music impacts wider society. Think of Hip Hop’s impact on culture and you’re on the right track. Not only that, you’ll look at the psychology of music and the emotive impact it has on the human brain.
- Industry Practice – We’ve got this module in both our Foundation Degree courses because it’s so important. Bringing together everything you have learned during your time on the course, you’ll work on a range of self-directed projects that lay down the foundation for whatever it is you want to do beyond your time at Access Creative College. It’s the perfect opportunity to kick-start your career in the industry before you finish the course!
“The amount you learn is unparalleled, really, especially in an environment where you’re surrounded by other creatives. It just helps to develop you as a creative individual.”
Joss Francis, Audio and Music Tech Student.
- Audio Production Technology – Break down all the stages of the audio production process and learn how to effectively make decisions that get results. You’ll look at recording, editing, mixing and mastering, ensuring that you keep current and historical practices in mind to create the best quality final product.
- Electronic Music Production – Learn everything you’ll need to know and more about producing electronic music, both analogue and digital, including mixing, sampling, sequencing and so much more.
- Audio & The Music Industry – We’ll also get you up to speed with industry trends, observing how technological changes are shaping the industry. We shore this up with experience of client management through the completion of a live client brief.
- Research Methods in Audio & Music Technology – You’ll develop an awareness of appropriate research methodologies in order to progress your studies in audio and music technologies. The ability to select the correct method of research is a skill that will assist you in your studies across all disciplines; including practical assessments and professional development. Academia is an important part of this qualification, and we’ll make sure you’re able to submit your best work by teaching you imperative research skills.
- Sound & Audio Theory – Everything to do with audio is grounded in science, it’s the bread and butter! Understanding that allows you to adapt to different environments and create the best sound possible. It’s so key that we’ve given it it’s own module.
- Advanced Audio Production – Bring together everything you learned when recording, editing, mixing and mastering in the Audio Production Technology module and develop your skills further as you incorporate your new found knowledge to produce work comparable to industry standard productions.
- Creative Audio & Music Technology – You’ll be taking a deeper look into contemporary technologies, focussing on the creative application of modular synthesis, sound design and experimental music production techniques.
- Acoustics & Electronics – Discover how sound sources, spaces and the technology you’re using interact. The room and environment you’re working in makes a huge difference to the sound of your overall production. We teach you how to work with the room you’re in to create an ideal environment for recording, producing, mixing and mastering music.
- Industry Practice – We’ve got this module in both our Foundation Degree courses because it’s so important. Bringing together everything you have learned during your time on the course, you’ll work on a range of self-directed projects that lay down the foundation for whatever it is you want to do beyond your time at Access Creative. It’s the perfect opportunity to kick-start your career in the industry before you finish the course!